Friday, March 27, 2015

The Impact of Video Games in Children’s Learning of Mathematics, (2012)

The article attempts to investigate whether video games could contribute to positive effect on Year 3 primary school students in Malaysia in their use of computer-based video game to enhance learning of multiplication facts (tables) in the Mathematics subject.

The study adopts a causal-comparative research to investigate the impact of the inclusion of a computer-based video game designed to teach multiplication facts to primary level students. Sample size is 100 students divided into two i.e., A: conventional group and B conventional group aided by video games. The conventional group (A) would be taught multiplication facts (timetables) and skills conventionally. The other group (B) underwent the same lessons but with supplementary activity: a computer-based video game on multiplication which is called Timez-Attack.

The findings revealed that video games as a supplementary activity to classroom learning brings significant and positive effect on students’ retention and mastery of multiplication tables as compared to students who rely only upon formal classroom instructions.

I totally agree with the authors in that video games are beneficial for teaching math. Personally speaking, I observed same process on my nephews when I downloaded a math application on their Ipads. They enjoyed learning maths through video games, and they mastered multiplication facts.

Reference:

Abdullah, M. R. T. L., Abu Bakar, Z., Ali, R. M., Faye, I., & Hasan, M. H. (2012). The impact of video games in children’s learning of mathematics. Waset Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 64, 968-974.

No comments:

Post a Comment